[sustran] Re: "many people misunderstand car sharing and car-pooling. It is not the time."

Zvi Leve zvi at inro.ca
Fri Jul 7 03:19:05 JST 2006

Making it more expensive to /own/ a car is not necessarily a good
incentive! If the cost of acquiring and registering a car are very high
relative to the costs of actually using it (for example $100,000 to buy
a vehicle, $1000 annual vehicle registration fees and $1/liter for
petrol), this will just encourage people to use their cars even more!
Once people make the high initial investment of acquiring a vehicle (and
they will make that effort if there is not a reasonable alternative)
they will be certain to want to get their money's worth....

Owning cars is not necessarily the problem (and in fact owning a new car
creates less pollution than owning an older car), it is how we choose to
use our cars that causes the problems. It is the variable costs
associated with using the vehicle (fuel taxes, tolls, parking fees,
etc.) which give more appropriate price signals.

Don't forget that China is actively leveraging their auto-industry to
'grow' the national economy, much as the US did before. It worked for
the US (and to a certain extent the other industrialized countries as
well), so why should China be expected to be any different? From an
over-all economic perspective their are very strong incentives to
produce as many cars as possible.

Zvi