[sustran] Re: "many people misunderstand car sharing and car-pooling. It is not the time."

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Fri Jul 7 02:27:43 JST 2006

Hi,

It seems that carsharing is mostly used - so far - to get people out of
their individual cars, which can have a good but limited effect. IF, on
the other hand, carsharing is implemented - philosophically and/or via
marketing of e.g.  "Gotham City Transport Solutions" - it can be an
alternative to someone getting their own car. So a better step forward
rather than a better step backwards, if you get my meaning.

BUT BUT BUT as Lee said it COULD stimulate car ownership, so the thing to
do is make it bloody difficult to own a car, relatively speaking, with
stick and carrot approach, with high taxes for private cars. BUT yeah I
dont know this could just get more people into carism so...

press release
6.7.2006

GOTHAM CITY commits to carfree future, offers carsharing as mobility
solution in interim

Gotham City - Mayor Rice and Beans announced today details of the ten-year
plan to make Gotham City carfree within the 2nd ringroad. In addition to
having the first two ringroads exclusively for BRT and cycle-based
transport, she announced a massive carsharing programme.

"A carshare car still pollutes with noise and emissions, still kills
anyone it touches when it is moving at a normal speed, still takes but
more space than any other form of public transport or non-motorised
transport, " said Mayor Rice and Beans, " but the city council, after an
extensive amount of public discussion and debate, has decided to support a
carsharing system integrated into our public transport, and non-motorised
transport system, for the next ten years, when GC within the second-ring
road will be carfree.

"The carsharing system will use the same SmartCard as public transport and
bikesharing/storage, and in addition every carshare car will contain two
folding bicycles which can be taken on public transport for free etc. The
goal here is seamless mobility, but not uncontrolled mobility...

- T
Dept of Optimistic Speculation,
Green Idea Factory

> Not sure I agree about car sharing..in most developing countries getting
> a driver license is a big hurdle, and car sharing requires that..once cs
> has stimulated more folks to get licenses and then to taste car
> ownership, I think it iwll stimulate them to become car owners.
> There are also basic issues of liabiltiy,theft etc... Not sure how
> these play out.. but I fear car sharing will accelerate car
> ownership/use..

> Dear Zhu,
>

> There are situations in which "not the time" is the best time.
>

> My small (and most respectful) way of saying that since carsharing has
> or
> can have a certain, call it, Yuppie image, it strikes me that it just
> might
> be marketable in . . .
>

> BTW, carsharing does not save the world or even cities. But it can be
> one of
> a very large number of percent solutions, which when you put the all
> together you just might have a far more sustainable transport systems.
>

> Requires thought (including driving out a lot of old thoughts from our
> busy
> minds that are probably the most important challenge) and then good old
> hard
> work.
>

> Bottom line: Carsharing could work in China, but needs a hero.
>

> Eric Britton
>

> Hi,
>

> I did not have much time to the long article about car in China.  But,
> yes,
> car sharing is a new concept for most China people, and many people
> misunderstand car sharing and car-pooling. It is not the time.
>

> Zhu Songli
>
> Beijing

> (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus
> is on urban transport policy in Asia.

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory