[sustran] Re: [NewMobilityCafe] What is 'Sustainable Transportation'? (And how, if at all, does it relate to the New Mobility Agenda?)

Stephen Plowden stephenplowden at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 18:38:28 JST 2006

I dispute the history in this article, especially the suggestion that
the idea that the job of transport planning was to supply infrastructure
was little questioned until about 15 years ago. It was seriously
questioned in Britain (and probably other countries, which never fell
for the transportation studies which Britain imported from America - no
blame to the Americans) since the mid 1960s and for reasons of
efficiency as well as environment. (The "predict and provide" approach
is simply infeasible; bus lanes improve the carrying capacity of streets
in terms or people rather than vehicles.) Sorry, I don't have time to
develop this theme now, but I am woried that this article is part of a
historical myth which is now growing up.