[sustran] Re: Jakarta busway opens new corridors

Paul Barter paulbarter at nus.edu.sg
Fri Jan 27 10:55:38 JST 2006

My message yesterday got reposted at the NewMobilityCafe list and Dinesh
Mohan responded there. Here is his response. Paul
-------------------------------

Message: 4
   Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:19:22 +0530
   From: "Dinesh Mohan" <dmohan at cbme.iitd.ernet.in>
Subject: RE: Jakarta busway opens new corridors

It is not possible to have a flat fare in a city like Delhi, as almost
60% of bus users buy the lowest priced ticket in buses (Rs. 2 = Euro
0.04) both in private and government buses. The lowest ticket o the new
3 line Metro is Rs. 6 and it is running at about 10-15% projected
capacity. The high fare is a partial reason for low use. What however is
necessary is provision for monthly/season/annual tickets and arrangement
for one ticket for one multi-leg journey.

Dinesh Mohan

TRIPP website http://www.iitd.ac.in/~tripp/

READ THE DECLARATION ON PEOPLE'S RIGHT TO SAFETY
http://www.iitd.ac.in/~tripp/righttosafety/rightframe.html

[If this server gives you trouble in sending a mail to me, you can use
<trippdelhi at hotmail.com> temporarily.]
Dinesh Mohan
Professor and Coordinator
Transportation Research and Injury Prevention Programme Room MS 808,
Main Building Indian Institute of Technology Hauz Khas New Delhi 110016

Phone:    (+91 11) 2659 1147
FAX:      (+91 11) 2685 8703
Home:     (+91 11) 2649 4910
Email:    dmohan at cbme.iitd.ernet.in