[sustran] Re: Jakarta busway opens new corridors

Paul Barter paulbarter at nus.edu.sg
Thu Jan 26 16:59:21 JST 2006

Before I focus on a problem, first I want to say how impressed I am with
Jakarta's progress on BRT, despite huge obstacles. This is not Bogota by
a long shot but this is encouraging news nevertheless.

Anyway, something caught my eye in the coverage of the new BRT corridors
in Jakarta (which John Ernst posted on 19 Jan)
> "As it is, the integrated ticketing system for both feeder
> buses and the busway does not work properly. In my
> experience, after buying the higher-priced tickets,
> conductors on the feeder buses still demand a fare because
> they do not recognize the integrated ticket," he said.
{Darmaningtiyas, of Intrans and ITDP Indonesias}

Can anyone who knows the project explain more about how the integrated
ticketing was supposed to work and reasons for it going wrong?

In some ways I find it impressive and ambitious that they even tried to
introduce integrated ticketing given that the regulatory framework for
buses in Jakarta (from what little I know) seems an unlikely context for
integrated ticketing reforms.  Can anyone say more on this?

Given the existing regulatory context, does anyone have any suggestions
on how to improve integration (eg ease of transfers, cheaper or free
transfers) in public transort in Jakarta? Would the regulation system
have to change in order to achieve better integration?

Finally, how imporatant does everyone think integration is for public
transport in low to middle-income cities, like Jakarta? Is it a luxury
for higher-income places or is it fundamental to the improvement of
public transport?

Paul

Paul A. Barter  |  Assistant Professor  |  LKY School of Public Policy
|  National University of Singapore  |  29 Heng Mui Keng Terrace  |
Singapore 119620  |  Tel: +65-6516 3324  |  Fax: +65-6778 1020  |
Email:  paulbarter at nus.edu.sg  |
http://www.spp.nus.edu.sg/faculty/paulbarter/

I am speaking for myself, not for my employers.
Are you interested in urban transport in developing countries? Then try
http://urbantransportasia.blogspot.com/
And consider joining the SUSTRAN-DISCUSS list,
http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss or
http://www.geocities.com/sustrannet/