[sustran] Fwd: Msiakini: Penangites fed up with poor public transport, plan to sue CVLB

Paul Barter paulbarter at nus.edu.sg
Mon Feb 13 14:58:30 JST 2006

http://www.malaysiakini.com/opinionsfeatures/46816

Penangites refuse to be taken for a ride
Anil Netto
Feb 13, 06 11:48am

Fed up with the failure by authorities in Penang to ensure an efficient
public transport system on this bustling island, civil society groups
are planning to take recourse to legal action.

Citizens have been asking the authorities for better public transport
for years, says Nizam Mahshar, coordinator for the Citizens for Public
Transport, a network of 24 civil society groups.

And now, as a last resort, the CPT is planning to file suit against the
federal Commercial Vehicle Licensing Board (CVLB) in the hope of
encouraging it to improve public transport on Penang island....

It's 'attrocious' ...

Disabled people suffer the most ...

http://www.malaysiakini.com/opinionsfeatures/46816  (subscribers only
for full article sorry)
---------------------

Paul A. Barter  |  Assistant Professor  |  LKY School of Public Policy
|  National University of Singapore  |  29 Heng Mui Keng Terrace  |
Singapore 119620  |  Tel: +65-6516 3324  |  Fax: +65-6778 1020  |
Email:  paulbarter at nus.edu.sg  |
http://www.spp.nus.edu.sg/faculty/paulbarter/
I am speaking for myself, not for my employers.
Are you interested in urban transport in developing countries? Then try
http://urbantransportasia.blogspot.com/
And consider joining the SUSTRAN-DISCUSS list,
http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss or
http://www.geocities.com/sustrannet/