[sustran] Asia's 'only-poor-people-ride-transit', KL monorail & isolation

eric.britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Fri Feb 10 23:51:06 JST 2006

Hmm. Very interesting. But behind all this is a fundamental strategic issue
which we have yet to face and resolve.

Have you not noticed? One of the main hallmarks of "alternative transport
thinking and policy" (that's most of us here by the way) is that it is well
intentioned, often quite wise, but invariably somehow perceived as ad hoc,
personal, and well  "out of the mainstream".

What's the answer to this?

Well I think that at the end of the day it is really rather simple. But it
is also eminently strategic. And that is to redefine what is in fact the
mainstream of transport policy and practice. Let's not make this too
abstract. Some specifics please.

Today we have one thing called "sustainable transportation". It's a pretty
good current of thinking, policy and practice, but it is still not that well
understood. And in part to break this stasis, we are trying to provide an
"open public and authoritative definition" of it - that reflects the
consensus of the leading edge of the s/t community. You can see the first
steps of this process in the Wikipedia (can you think of a better place to
start? If so let us know), at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sustainable_transportation.  Now the fact is
that this definition is still very much in process and I have a considerable
amount of input to factor into the entry, and I hope that my other work (you
know the stuff that pays the rent and the kids' tuition bills) will let up a
bit and allow me to get back to this within the week. But don't let that
slow you down if you have additional ideas, criticism, etc. for me.

And then as opposed to that we are trying to push a positive concept which
really could do the job and in fact refine the leading edge of
transportation policy and practice, which we are calling the New Mobility
Agenda and for which we are seeing the definition in process at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mobility_Agenda.  And there too you are
invited to pitch and help us all move to something that is more
authoritative and able to stand on its own legs as a real alternative to
'old mobility" thinking.

Unless we get together to take the high ground and in the process to
redefine the rules and benchmarks, then it is more marginalization, and more
awful projects and policies. (And by the way if anyone thinks it's rude to
say harsh things about monorails, well then please put me down as very very
rude.)

Eric Britton