[sustran] Re: Summary from Paul +

On the Train Towards the Future! edelman at greenidea.info
Fri Feb 10 19:00:49 JST 2006

Thanks to Paul for summary of all of this.

Also, Iike what people have been saying about any motorised transport system enabling spawl

Some specific things seem to have not been addressed much if at all in the past days in any detail:

1 - Future energy security for BRT systems. I want to hear more about hydrogen studies, etc. One advantage of rail is proven catenary system. If onboard hydrogen is a problem, what about next generation of vehicles being BRT trolley-buses with catenary (if possible dont lengthen routes, BUT improve the existing routes to focus on density) or even ground-powered systems, like in Bordeaux lightrail scheme. I am talking about next generation of vehicles, so 15 years from now!
http://www.transport.alstom.com/pr_transp/2006/21362.EN.php?languageId=EN&dir=/pr_transp/2006/&idRubriqueCourante=6267

2 - New thing: Thoughts on subsurface metro for freight (what is called "metrofreight" in Joel Crawford book "Cafree Cities".) rather than the chaos of all those trucks, no matter how clean smelling they are, individually.

Thanks,