[sustran] Re: Asia's 'only-poor-people-ride-transit', KL monorail & isolation

Su-Lin Chee sulin at vectordesigns.org
Fri Feb 10 18:39:01 JST 2006

Karl and everyone else,

I guess Mr. Barter’s comments put a pretty conclusive point to most of
these discussions. Indeed, a mix of modes according to specific
conditions sounds wise. Apparently, the powers-that-be are next
considering building another LRT line through the Western Damansara-
North PJ section of greater KL. For me, anything that is affordable
and doesn’t take twice the time of driving a car is good -- be it BRT,
bus or rail.

Just yesterday, commuters including myself waited for nearly two hours
for a feeder bus from the Bangsar LRT station, because one of the two
buses had broken down. Perhaps the other had as well, to warrant such
a wait. Why is the bus system in such an, as you say, “antiquated,
neglected and generally decrepit” condition?

Part of the blame must be put on what I feel is the attitude of routes
being simple entrepreneurship exercises where buses “fish” for
passengers. Because of this, you get different operators employing
most of their resources on cannibalizing each other on established
money making routes. Of course, this attitude also sits well with bus
operations being handled by the Ministry of Entrepreneurship
Development rather than the Ministry of Transport.

So yes, taking political factors into consideration, getting overall
guidance and regulation done by a pertinent transportation agency
rather than the CVLB is a great starting point. And apparently, the
bill establishing it has already been gazetted in Parliament. So I
hope all of you will watch that space!

> Su-Lin Che
>
> I agree with you that the way the big decisions are made is the main
problem
> rather than any particular mode as such. I'm not saying that BRT
would have
> been better in Kuala Lumpur, or even that BRT is needed in KL. I
don't know
> enough about demand and road and traffic conditions there, though
I'm sure
> that you or others who are familiar with the city (Paul Barter?)
have some
> suggestions.
>
> Yes, it is very difficult now in KL to take away road space from
cars, but
> maybe Seoul provides a relevant example. Seoul has a much more
extensive
> metro network, but found that traffic conditions were still
deteriorating,
> car reliance increasing, etc. So they built and are building a
network of
> medium capacity (ie. one lane) bus lanes combined with other bus
system
> improvements which has had impressive results. It integrates very
well with
> the metro, as in Hong Kong. In Seoul's case a visionary mayor
deserves much
> of the credit, maybe a similar figure is needed in KL?
>
> I've always found it striking in KL that such a modern and advanced
city can
> have such an antiquated, neglected and generally decrepit bus
system. Maybe
> a first step in KL and other cities in Malaysia is to take bus sector
> regulation out of the hands of the CVLB and give it to the cities?
>
> Karl

On Behalf
> Of Su-Lin Chee
> Sent: Thursday, 9 February 2006 11:22 AM
> To: Asia and the Pacific sustainable transport
> Subject: [sustran] Re: Asia's 'only-poor-people-ride-transit',KL
monorail &
> isolation
>
> Mr Fjellstrom,
> Wow, your knowledge of KL's public transportation scene is
impressive!
> Although I can't authoritatively agree with the figures, the main
> facts of what you say are true. Personally however, I would first
> place the main seat of the general public transporation fiasco on
the
> political situation and the way big decisions are made, rather
> than "mode problems" as Jain Alok has said.
>
> For example, although the proven formula seems to be the
private/quasi-
> govt sector building and the public sector operating, due to capital
> constraints of the government, one would think that if the
government
> were capable of bailing out Putra LRT later, why didn't they just
> steer the whole thing right from the beginning?
>
> One could also say the woeful integration is not just an effect from
> lack of incentive but lack of faith in the entire system of
integrated
> planning.
>
> I guess your main contention here is that BRTs would have been much
> cheaper and more efficient. I remember going to a forum of engineers
> where BRTs were presented and there being general skepticism about
> giving up road space. Dedicated bus lanes have been difficult enough
> to implement. KL drivers love their cars and road space too much and
> would perhaps prefer temporary incursions due to rail constructions
> than long-term deprivation of road space. BRTs just seem to be too
far
> away from the mindsets of KLites, or perhaps too progressive.
>
> So perhaps you could enlighten me on how BRTs are much better than
> existing buses on priority lanes and in improved conditions (eg
> emissions & cleanliness).
>

> > Dear Su-Lin Che,
> >
> > Being the 'second most successful' KL rail transit system - as you
> say the
> > monorail is - is not such a glowing accolade. Consider the
> competition...
> >
> > PUTRA LRT went bankrupt and was nationalized in Nov 2001 with
debts
> of more
> > than US$1.4 billion after only 3 years of operation. All the
> contractors,
> > designers, vehicle suppliers etc made fat profits and the company
> they set
> > up to operate PUTRA only had around 5% equity investment from
them,
> so they
> > didn't lose much when it folded.
> >
> > STAR, the other main mass transit system, a heavy rail system, was
> better,
> > with debts of 'only' a few hundred million US$ after 5 years of
> operation,
> > and was also nationalized at the same time, with Ministry of
Finance