[sustran] Re: Perceived railmarket in Asia + BRT in Europe

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Fri Feb 10 05:57:09 JST 2006

But the other side of the DC and San Francisco question is whether the
far extensions of metro that DO make sense simply invited people of
means to move out there...as
the population declined by almost 30% between 1975 and 1995 in
WAshington. And the BART metro was explicitly built as an intercity rail
system, NOt an in-town metro.

Joining these two makes sense if one has a real city system, which we
have in WAshington DC -- unfortunately I don't know Metro's market share
of all travel in the corridors it serves. but as more and more movement
because tangential, radil rail systems serving suburbus make less and
less sense...

>>> Eric Bruun <ericbruun at earthlink.net> 2/9/2006 3:47:23 PM >>>

Places like Hong Kong are exceptions. It is exceptionally dense and the
operator
of the system can recover capital investment because it owns property
over the stations.
In many places, this type of density will never occur (nor maybe should
it occur). Also, in many regions
politicians refuse to let public tranport companies make money off the
real estate -- they
want to privatize the profits and socialize the costs. If we can't all
be like Hong Kong does this
mean we should never build Metros?

I think there is far too much focus on the cost of construction. Once
built, transport
infrastructure can be of benefit for many decades. Do we take
sustainable development
seriously, or not?

As for Washington, DC, this is a good example of what is wrong with
focusing on construction
costs. I would agree with Lee that some corridors make less sense than
others to build. But I also submit that the DC region can not physically
function without the Metro any longer. It is now absolutely essential.
What is the cost of NOT having the Metro is a question that also needs
to be asked.

Eric