[sustran] Re: Perceived railmarket in Asia + BRT in Europe

Lee Schipper schipper at wri.org
Thu Feb 9 13:00:03 JST 2006

Agree. The Hong Kong rail system is great.

We should have built the inner parts of the DC metro; Atlanta never
should have been built. San Francisco should have been built ONLY
with strong measures to clust er housing, shops, etc around ALL the
stops -- which did not occur ver much in the east bay (Berkeley,
Oakland), and certainly not in the ridiculous extension
towards Livermore Ca. My fellow citizens of Berkeley made sure that no,
repeat NO apartments, st ores, or any other increases in density would
be permitted around the North Berkeley BART METRO) stop -- its just a
parking lot (at the cost of a few hundred homes that were removed in the
early 1970s) and a moving stairway into the ground.

The lesson is you cannot JUST build a metro unless you already have ver
high densities (and lots of vertical, i.e., high rise space as well). We
did. We burned money. too bad.

Forces, or rather farces, are now lobbying in the Washington DC region
for an almost 3 billion dollar extension of metro the last 20 km or so
to the main Washington DC Airport. Even stronger farces want a maglev!
Yet the main access road has space for 2-4 bus lanes in the undeveloped
center of the road.  What's wrong with $200 million when you can spend
ten or fifteen times as much of someone else's money!

Agree that Hong Kong has a very well run system that is making some
money. Bangalore's bus system is similar. Two real pearls of the East,
as they say

>>> ajain at kcrc.com 2/8/2006 10:32:08 PM >>>
Dear Lee,

I think we both are saying the same thing but putting it differently.
metro should be built only if can be fully justified and the same
should
apply to BRT. This should not have anything to do with a country being
rich or poor. I can't believe that there are no better uses of money
in
United States such that it can justify "burning" money on metros.
Along
the same lines, one can't say building metro always tantamounts to
burning money. I am not sure if you have ever been to Hong Kong but
metros here are well-justified and I do not think BRT can replace it
(we
also have a pretty good bus system - fully privatised with no
subsidy).

The whole point is about having choice and going beyond black or
white.

Alok