[sustran] Re: Perceived railmarket in Asia + BRT in Europe

Jain Alok ajain at kcrc.com
Thu Feb 9 11:44:04 JST 2006

" The problem is that the DMRC and its various domestic and foreign
corporate backers are actually killing politically much more cost
effective BRT proposals.  Per capita incomes in India remain under $500
a year, annual per passenger capital and operating subsidies are several
times the per capita income(it is impossible to know for sure as the
books of the DMRC are a state secret it seems) is hard to justify in
this economic context.  "

I'm afraid this argument for justifying BRT for Delhi is elitist at the
least. Are we trying to say that relatively poorer countries should
build BRT whereas the richer countries can have Metro? I think any
operating mode, as Eric points out, has its own merit and should be
planned accordingly. In my opinion, Delhi should have both BRT and Metro
depending on the corridor.

Alok Jain

"KCRC - Better connections; better services"

This email and any attachment to it may contain confidential or proprietary information that are intended solely for the person / entity to whom it was originally addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distributing or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, arrive late or contain viruses.  The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the context of this message which arise as a result of transmission over the Internet.

No opinions contained herein shall be construed as being a formal disclosure or commitment of the Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation unless specifically so stated.