[sustran] Re: Perceived railmarket in Asia + BRT in Europe

Sujit Patwardhan sujit at vsnl.com
Wed Feb 8 15:27:21 JST 2006

I agree with Karl. In Indian cities too wherever BRT is being
hesitatingly (Govt prefers the high cost Metro for obvious reasons)
implemented (Delhi, Ahmedabad, Pune) the design comprises a central
lane for BRT buses, with safe lanes for bicycles and pedestrians on
the sides. Major credit for this must go to Dr Geetam Tiwari and Dr
Dinesh Mohan of TRIPP, IIT Delhi who have been tirelessly advocating
the need for inclusion of these vulnerable modes of traffic (walking
and cycling) in planning the road design. In fact at least in such
cases, it is the possibility of BRT that may ultimately make the
roads in Pune safe for walking and cycling. As the once "city of
cyclists" we are looking forward to speedy (and meticulous)
implementation of BRT.
--
Sujit

Sujit Patwardhan
PTTF
Pune Traffic & Transportation Forum,
c/o Parisar, "Yamuna",
ICS Colony,Ganeshkhind Road,
Pune 411 007
India

At 09:44 AM 2/8/2006, you wrote:
>Zvi,
>In my view one of the most appealing things about BRT is that most new
>applications, including all of the Chinese BRT systems being developed, are
>median-aligned. The bike lanes meanwhile are side-aligned, and even when
>there are no bike lanes the bikes tend to ride on the side. So there is
>usually no contradiction between bikes and BRT and no need to choose one or
>the other.
>In fact it's the opposite. The present situation is often for high volumes
>of buses and bicycles to be in conflict in the side lanes, which is bad for
>both. With BRT you remove these conflicts, improving conditions for both.
>Karl

Sustainable Urban Transport
Sujit Patwardhan
Member