[sustran] Asia's 'only-poor-people-ride-transit', KL monorail & isolation

Su-Lin Chee sulin at vectordesigns.org
Wed Feb 8 11:24:24 JST 2006

As someone working on Kuala Lumpur’s public transportation information
system, I feel behooved to respond to some preceding posts:

1. Mr. Bradshaw’s sustainable transportation comments: I agree
wholeheartedly about the frustration of seeing Asians’ “only-poor-
people-ride-transit bias.” That, to me, is the paramount obstacle to
KL’s public transport usage, over and above political and economic
issues. It is a class thinking and cars are seen as a class and status
symbol. Public transport, especially buses, is seen as milling around
with the masses and the marginals of society. The moment I mention the
word “buses”, it seems as if a mental barrier goes up in most middle
class and above people – of horror and non-acceptability. What to do??

2. Mr. Fjellstromn’s KL monorail comments: among KL’s rail transit
systems, the monorail may be deemed the 2nd most successful or maybe
even the most successful, in terms of customer uptake and perceived
relevance of route. It is almost always packed and goes through some
of the city’s most congested and popular parts. The one fiasco is how
the line doesn’t join up with KL’s train hub: KL Sentral.

3. Mr Pardo’s Le Corbusier comment: Yes! The need to have engineers to
plan fast cities has resulted in what I feel is a very isolating city.
On an anecdotal level, many mid-term visitors to KL express feelings
of alienation and a lack of ground-level community interaction.

Best wishes,

Su-Lin Chee

project manager
klang valley public transportation information system
vector designs
www.vectordesigns.org
54a jalan kemuja
bangsar utama