[sustran] Re: Delhi Metro + Post-Oil BRT + Biogas BRT

On the Train Towards the Future! edelman at greenidea.info
Wed Feb 8 07:37:33 JST 2006

From: Lee Schipper:

So while your earlier
> comments are certainly valid (lifetime of vehicles, etc) it comes donw
> ot how ot value the land, the costs, the way the system is paid for (and
> who pays)  and other
> ecnomic and social factors.

Todd: What I meant with "lifetime of vehicle" comment - and also query about tyre particles - was simply  to make sure that buses last as long as possible, and how to do that... and the same with tyres.

The envelope should continue to be pushed - it seems to be happening with the latest engines in regards to using gas, exhaust recirculation, etc.

---

Regarding post-peak oil BRT, the thinking for the onboard fuel source is mainly hydrogen, right? How confident is everyone in this? For a new BRT, are owners thinking they will go through two 15-year cycles of Diesel or gas buses before they make the switch? Or three? Are there energy-use advantages to getting electricity from an overhead caternary vs. some type of onboard hydrogen system? Are there any trolley-bus (with caternary) type BRT systems? Are there any BRT systems operating on biogas? (I know that Sweden has about 800 normal city buses powered by biogas, plus one regional train). Are there any CNG BRTs? And if so are they worried about future availability of CNG?

- T

Todd Edelman
International Coordinator
On the Train Towards the Future!