[sustran] Re: Perceived railmarket in Asia + BRT in Europe

On the Train Towards the Future! edelman at greenidea.info
Wed Feb 8 06:24:39 JST 2006

Hi,

This will definately not quiet the discussion about appropriate transport for developing countries:

Tapping Into Asia’s Euros 10 Billion A Year Rail Market

A STUDY of the Euros 10 billion/year Asian railway market based on market segments speaks of considerable pent-up potential in public transport investment in the region in the years ahead. It suggests that even if overall economic momentum should slow down in future, significant development potential exists in individual areas.

http://www.railjournal.com/A/xfeature1.html

----

In case anyone cares,  I say "On the Train" because I think train makes sense as the core of land-based transport, in a country where streets are living spaces between buildings.  BUT depending on the country it should either be just long-distance intercity services (unless they have sleeper cars on buses) or in Europe the situation is certainly different in regards to historical tram infrastructure, etc. BRT is more or less guided transport, which is why I like it.

Also, "On the Train" is for now focused on Europe, particularly on Eastern Europe. By the way  I imagine that in the near future - when cheap and easy oil is gone - many of the ring roads etc all over Europe will just be used for BRT. Unless I am missing a major technical hitch? People might want to use rail solutions for whatever reason but unless vehicles are light too much of the infrastructure would need to be strengthened - in addition to laying of rails, etc - and the resulting cost and energy use could be prohibative.

I am actually going to see if someone wants to develop some concept BRTsolutions for future of Europe's ringroads.

Some more questions:

- There is a short item in the new Carbusters talking about how particles from wearing-down tyres are causing health problems. Are any BRT systems dealing with this?

- Also, if buses used for BRT could last as long as trains it would be great. Are buyers of buses for BRT making sure they at least get vehicles which can be recycled easily?

- Do any "BRT cities" have a unique solution for urban freight? Jaime Lerner is correct in saying that it is natural that people want to be above ground, but freight doesnt have eyes.

So... whatever is appropriate, and watch out for the lobbyists!

- T, On the (you bought it whether you liked it or not) to the Future!

Todd Edelman
International Coordinator
On the Train Towards the Future!

Green Idea Factory