[sustran] Re: Chennai monorail controversy

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Wed Feb 8 01:40:47 JST 2006

Leaving aside the issues of cost and getting to and from a monorail, and
the difficulty of network development, I believe I've isolated the
fallacy that leads monorail and light rail producers to wildly
exaggerated claims about the capacity of such systems.  They calculate
the theoretical capacity of these systems based on the number of people
that these trains can carry, times the number of trains per hour that
the signaling system can handle, and simply multiply.  This will usually
give you an impressive number, and it seems very logical.

The trouble is that at high volumes even in the best of systems there is
a fair amount of pushing and shoving to get in and out of the doors, so
at any station with high volumes of boarding and alighting, the stop
time tends to quickly move beyond allocated 10 seconds allocated.  In
two minute headways it does not take long before the train behind is
stuck waiting and a queue forms.   Hence, as with BRT the bottleneck is
the station stop.  However,   because these systems don't exist in
developing countries where demand is anywhere near high enough for this
problem to manifest itself, the capacity calculation mistakenly assumes
the bottleneck is the size of the vehicle and the lead time headway.