[sustran] Chennai needs BRT, not Monorail

arul rathinam arulgreen at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 01:28:12 JST 2006

Dear Friends

Greetings from PASUMAI THAAYAGAM

When we are launching a Campaign for Sustainable
Transport in Chennai, the State Government of Tamil
Nadu has announced the Monorail Project for Chennai.

Monorail is being used only as feeder service in all
the countries where it is in operation. Only Japan
does the monorail cover over 100 km.  In Malaysia,
Australia and United States it runs for less then 100
km.  It is yet to be tested as a mainline metro system
anywhere in the world.  But the Government of Tamil
Nadu in India is announced 300 km monorail project as
a mainline metro system.
(http://www.hindu.com/2006/01/22/stories/2006012214710700.htm)

We are strongly opposing the Chennai monorail project.
Instead of monorail, we are demanding Bus Rapid
Transit (BRT) for Chennai.  Our organization founder
Dr. S. Ramadoss raised this demand at a demonstration
against monorail project. (See - PMK suggests bus
rapid transit system for Chennai
http://www.thehindu.com/2006/01/25/stories/2006012507140400.htm)

As a member of our organization, the Indian Railway
Minister for State, Mr. Velu also opposed the project.
(See - Monorail project not feasible: Velu
http://www.chennaionline.com/colnews/newsitem.asp?NEWSID=%7B1B8DB6B2-5841-4B66-A6D0-A2FDFE4581AC%7D&CATEGORYNAME=Chennai)

In this situation we are planning to organize a
Seminar on Sustainable Transport in Chennai – (for Bus
Rapid Transit in Chennai) on 25 February 2006.

We need your advice and support.

with kind regards.

R.ARUL, Secretary,
PASUMAI THAAYAGAM (Green Mother Land),
No. 9,(old No: 5, Lynwood Lane,Mahalingapuram,
CHENNAI -600 034, Tamil Nadu,
INDIA.

Email:  pasumaimail at yahoo.co.in
Fax: +91 – 44 – 2817 2122
www.p-t.in

PMK suggests bus rapid transit system for Chennai
Ramadoss demands scrapping of the proposed monorail
project

CHENNAI: The Pattali Makkal Katchi on Tuesday urged
the State Government to adopt the bus rapid transit
(BRT) system to solve Chennai's public and mass
transportation problem.

The BRT system, which ensures use of high quality and
high capacity buses for public transport, was cheaper
than the monorail system and more suited to Chennai,"
said PMK founder S.Ramadoss, while leading a
demonstration near Memorial Hall here.

Countries such as Brazil, Indonesia and South Korea
had gone for it.
He demanded that the proposed monorail project be
scrapped.

Pointing out that it was proposed to cover 300 km, Dr.
Ramadoss said even in industrialised nations such as
Japan and United States, the coverage was much less.
Considering the volume of traffic in the city,
monorail would not be the answer.

He said the fleet strength of the Metropolitan
Transport Corporation should be increased to 5,000.
There should be a separate track for bicycles on all
roads. He criticised the trend of reducing the space
meant for footpaths.

http://www.thehindu.com/2006/01/25/stories/2006012507140400.htm