[sustran] Re: Fw: [cai-asia] Will maintenance keep 15-year oldpublictransport buses clean?

Walter Hook whook at itdp.org
Thu Feb 2 00:06:58 JST 2006

I am not an expert in this, but i do know that in most US cities transit
authorities receiving money from the US Federal Transit Admin must use
buses 10 years old or younger, after which they are sold to a company in
LA that parks them on a huge lot and sells them to smaller towns and
foreign countries.  What FTA says is that some 10 year old buses that
are well maintained are no more polluting than much newer buses, and
that the 10 year cut off is arbitrary and that simply testing the
tailpipe emissions and having road worthiness testing would be more
efficient, but enforcement of such measures seems to be beyond the
capacity of many countries and I would assume this includes the
Philippines, hence the need for a sub-optimal age restriction.  They can
probably resell the vehicles outside Manila where there are lower
concentrations of ambient air pollution.