[sustran] Re: Fw: [cai-asia] Will maintenance keep 15-year old publictransport buses clean?

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 1 17:59:41 JST 2006

Dear Aurora,

In my opinion, the simple answer is that a good preventive maintenance regime will keep the buses a lot cleaner than they would be in the absence of such a regime. I don't know what you define as "clean", I would take the benchmark as the performance you should expect in the first five years if the vehicle is maintained in line with the manufacturer's recommendations.

I presume the scenario refers either to an existing stock of buses or to a proposal to buy in second-hand vehicles which are being replaced in another country (perhaps currently 10-15 years old), and that there is concern locally about the future emissions based on past experience with the operators. At the risk of interfering where I don't know the context, I would suggest that there are five factors which could assure good performance from older vehicles :

a) Clearly defined emission standards which are practical, realistic, and measurable
b) An enforcement regime that can detect violating vehicles and impose escalating penalties on their owners
c) A regime of preventive maintenance within the operating companies that supports a vehicle throughout its working life (provide some technical assistance if needed)
d) Sufficiently strong incentives for companies to include emissions-related work and testing within such a regime
e) Incentives for operating companies to replace their vehicles when good maintenance can no longer possible keep them within specifications (and, of course, ensure that these vehicles are scrapped rather than sold on somewhere else)

On one issue I would be cautious. In some places I have seen the arguments about old or clean buses used as a pretext for other actions. For example, I have seen it used to drive small operating companies and owner-drivers off the road to the advantage of the state-owned enterprises, and in other cases as criteria on routes tenders to quite effectively eliminate the competition in the pre-qualification stages. I think it is important to keep the agenda 'clean' as well as the buses!

If you assemble the various inputs into a briefing note, I would be interested to receive it.

With best wishes,

Brendan Finn.