[sustran] Re: Fw: [cai-asia] Will maintenance keep 15-year old publictransport buses clean?

Guevarra, Joselito Lomada cvegjl at nus.edu.sg
Wed Feb 1 17:41:33 JST 2006

Dear Au,

I'm assuming this has something to do with the Land Transportation
Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) program for retiring 15yrs and
older public buses. For those of you who do not know, here's a brief
backgrounder (from what I know, so please correct me if I'm wrong):

The LTFRB, on 19 Jan, was set to implement a program to phase-out public
utility buses which are 15yrs and older. The program aims to modernize
the bus fleet and provide better services to commuters (well, it's about
time!) and in compliance of the Clean Air Act. This goes way back to
2002 with a DOTC (Dept of Transportation & Communications) order setting
15yrs as the standard for buses to ply the roads. Now here comes the
point of contention from the private bus operators and the government:
the date of reckoning...when do you start counting? Date of manufacture
or acquisition? Well....that's for another debate...Just recently,
before the end of Jan, the DOTC suspended the order of the LTFRB pending
a review as requested by the bus operators...

Now back to your question...You must mean "less polluting", yes? I just
wanted to clear that point. In the context of public transport buses in
the Philippines, I would have to say no. Most buses plying the routes in
Metro Manila are second-hand reconditioned units. Any maintenance done
by the bus companies are to keep them running and not to keep them
pollution-free, er... emit less pollution. You can see this on the roads
everyday - most are smoke belchers. And no amount of maintenance can
ever bring them back to their original state. From a technological
point-of-view, it's possible to keep them clean but at what cost and how
long? I doubt the private operators would ever spend that kind of money.

My point is why keep such old buses running? Which clearly are pollution
and health hazards...I just hope we can see a strong will to carry out
the program and not give in to the lobbying of private operators which
have no other interest but their bottomlines...

Cheers,

Joselito L. Guevarra

  _____