[sustran] Re: regarding thesis topic HCMC

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Mon Dec 25 14:22:59 JST 2006

Hi AD,

 From wht you have written I can visualise that HCMC has good
infrastructure for pedestrians but the problem is their reduction. I
would suggest to think of implementing traffic calming and prioritising
Public Transport.

You have identified some of the problems with the motorbikes like they
are faster, easy to park  etc.. so target those points tht make
motorbiking easy and aim to make the ride uncomfortable. Try to develop
a plan where the speeds of bikes are reduced and the bus is given
priority. Trying to develop pedestrian streets and reduce parking or
price parking for motor vehicles.

For the start I would recommend our (GTZ-SUTP) module on mobility
management. further you can even visit www.vtpi.org Todd Litmans website
for TDM (Travel Demand Management) where you might get more ideas for
possible solutions that you can adopt for HCMC. Also do read
Sustainability and Cities by Peter Newman and Jeff Kenworthy.

IMO, finding alternative fuels would not be a good option  for HCMC like
city becoz they would not help in reducing the accidents or the main
target mobility. So try something that involves encouraging walking
(NMT) and public transport and reduces motorbike dependency. High
density areas with large pavements are a very nice place to implement
pedestrianisation.

Cheers!!
Sunny