[sustran] Re: regarding thesis topic

AD banmt at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 25 14:07:54 JST 2006

Thank you everybody for your helps.

Concerning Metro plan, I think that it should be a must in the long run for any city with high density like HCMC? Although the cost for building a metro system may be high, it will give benefit for a long time... Please tell me if I am wrong.

About finding alternatives of two-wheelers, in my opinion, it would be really hard because motorcycle is so convenient that even though there is a bus route from home to work, people still prefer their own motorcycle.  It  is  because  a motorcycle requires  a little space to park, or is faster and cheaper than traveling by a bus...

HCMC is an old, French-style city with small streets and big pavements in the city center. Therefore, it has disadvantages for developing bus routes on streets which are also shared by motorcycles. The authority is currently reducing the pavements' sides to make more space for motorized vehicles, which I think is not a good idea for a city with sustainable transportation where pedestrians and cyclists are preferred.

Because of the nature of the city, in my opinion, HCMC should stop widening the streets for private motorized vehicles, saving streets mainly for buses and increase the number of cyclists and pedestrians (can cyclists and pedestrians share the pavements?).

Is it possible to ban motorcycles from the streets ? Or we can have other better solutions? And what could my thesis do with limited time?

All the best.

Nguyen Anh Dung
M.Sc Student.
Faculty of Environment and Resource Studies.
Mahidol University, Thailand.