[sustran] Re: regarding thesis topic

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Sat Dec 23 23:42:29 JST 2006

Hi,

I think it would be quite interesting if you did something related to
narrowing highways in order to reduce road traffic...and:

If by pavements you mean "road surface" then determining an appropriate
speed which makes automobiles and trucks nearly silent on whatever road
surface would be great...

BUT if you actually mean the walkways at the sides of roads then designing
them so they are felt by everyone as an extension of their business or
housing - rather than just a place for movement - it would be useful...

You will also may get some ideas here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_calming

BUT especially here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_space

and here:
http://www.worldcarfree.net/resources/EnergyandEquity.php

which is from here:
http://www.worldcarfree.net/resources/free.php

Regards,

> I am a student of transport planning doing my P.G. from school of
> planning and architecture .I have to do my thesis next near starting
> Jan 2007 and want to do something new.I would appreciate fresh
> idea's .I want to do something practical and related to ongoing issues in
> pavement design and highways .
> Thanking You
> Anirudh Singh Bais

Todd Edelman