[sustran] Recent developments in hybrid guided "bustrams", ultracaps and BRT

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Tue Dec 19 12:35:13 JST 2006

Hi,

Following is a rather recent development for a hybrid guided "bus" or
tram?... and it seems an evolution from previous concepts of guided (but
not rail-based) tram/bus systems as it incorporates engines and flywheels
and offers fuel cells and docking stations for flywheel or ultracaps as
options. It is also in testing mode, not just an idea. The Die Welt
article is in German.

Also, after that I include some info on ultracap applications in DMUs and
a very-interesting adjustable-length bus for BRT and other applications:

Hybrid bustram or trambus... from company website:

<http://www.ivi.fraunhofer.de/frames/english/projects/eng_mvs_autotram.html>

Description, in short PDF form:
<http://www.ivi.fraunhofer.de/frames/english/projects/produktbl/autotram_eng.pdf>

Description, in longer, detailed PDF:
<http://www.ivi.fraunhofer.de/frames/images/autotram/Autotram_RollOut.pdf>

***

Article from Die Welt in November:
<http://www.welt.de/data/2006/11/01/1094901.html>

Green car congress article, including interesting technical (but very
readable) discussion below:
<http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/11/fraunhofer_test.html>

*************

This is a recent presentation about ultracap tram in France and its
possibilities for adaptation to light and medium-sized DMUs:

<http://www.allianz-pro-schiene.de/cms/upload/media/themen/umweltbericht/workshops/20060919/07-Vortrag_Kehl-060919.pdf>

************

This is adjustable-length (!!!) bus for BRT and other bus systems, a
cousin of the Autotram above... no pictures yet it seems, but I will try
to get some:
<http://host7.hubner-germany.com/en/24_meters_long__a_detachable_bi_directional_vehicle_on_the_IAA.html>

- T

Todd Edelman