[sustran] Re: The Great Leap China Car Free Days Idea Factory

Brendan Finn etts at indigo.ie
Fri Dec 8 23:34:45 JST 2006

MessageDear Eric,

Interesting piece, and it does identify a major challenge. I know that there is already a huge amount of knowledge out there about what can be done for Car Free Day, so I would like to offer a few different thoughts at this stage :

1) The bottom-line is that CFDs are a means of bringing attention to possibilities, but they are not a solution. Just as puppies (and Cliff Richard?) are not just for Christmas, Car Free Days can't just be for the 22nd September or a demonstration week. There have to be clear, feasible goals for how urban societies will function on a permanent basis.

2) The number and diversity of Chinese cities is beyond our normal experience. I believe there are 167 cities of about 1 million or more people, and there are tens of cities which we would consider 'large'. Each has its own unique characteristics, and there are very significant climatic differences. One design, one size, one colour will not fit all. And it is not enough that there are many options in the toolbox, there must be a range of creative fundamental concepts. Put it another way, for China think 'continent' rather than 'country', we would not presume to take the same approach in Copenhagen and Stockholm as in Athens or Seville.

3) Just as important, each city has its own interest groups with their own motivations and balance of power. They must be understood. Things will not happen without the approval of those who currently hold the balance of power or those who can cause inertia.

4) Cities, city leaders, interest groups and citizens have concepts of what a city should be like, what are the characteristics of a prosperous city, and what are the characteristics or symptoms of a poor, backward or unsuccessful city. Perfectly logical technical arguments may perish on these rocks. It is not enough to show that something is efficient in transportation terms - it is vital that the stakeholders perceive it as beneficial and progressive at many levels.

5) The State Council has issued a number of Opinions, included SCO 46 which encourages the prioritisation of public transport, the making available of facilities and improving the conditions, etc. As far as I know, genuine efforts are being made at this level. Bus fleets have expanded in many cities, and BRT is gaining a strong foothold in many Chinese cities. While there is more to be done, I don't think this is the critical pinch-point.

6) What is less clear is whether there is a real commitment either to the serious restriction of the use of private car traffic or the genuine promotion of cycling and walking and giving it equal treatment with the car in roadspace. I think this is where the battlelines are more likely to be drawn.

7) It is not clear who is your target for these actions. I suggest that you would need to have both central support at the Ministry of Construction (to embed concepts and actions at national policy level), and real support at the Mayoral level in a selected set of cities (to get real implementers). Of course, the best option would be to link with existing initiatives rather than start new ones (I guess you're doing that anyway).

8) I think that there would be great benefit in study tours and meetings between counterparts (e.g. Mayor to Mayor, heads of municipal planning and traffic,heads of traffic police, etc.). These are the people whose jobs are on the line and who can push or block initiatives. Discussions with their counterparts allow them to explore the real aspects (positive, negative, implementation methods, benefits) of what is proposed.

9) Finally, it needs to be clear whose problem is being solved here. Is China the problem that the rest of the world needs to solve? Or, do Chinese cities have both common and unique problems to solve, where co-operation with others would offer new perspectives and lead to beneficial outcomes? Personally I prefer the latter approach.

I hope this perspective contributes to the discussion.

With best wishes,

Brendan.