[sustran] Re: Transport in cities - Wikipedia definitions for your info and completion

Todd Edelman edelman at greenidea.info
Mon Aug 14 03:21:05 JST 2006

Eric Britton said:

> Dear Colleagues,
>

> As some of you know, we give considerably importance to ensuring that the
> Wikipedia open encyclopedia be developed into a reliable place for
> information on transport in cities, sustainable transport, and the New
> Mobility Agenda and all of its many parts.  Terms that may be as familiar
> as our hands to you and me are often entirely unknown to many people,
> including the media (who do come to the Wikipedia for help) as well as
> many researchers, policy makers and people coming in from other fields.
> Thus it is important that they have a reliable place to turn to when they
> encounter these new terms.

The way in which younger people think about things like "streets" (The
Wiki entry is fair and relatively comprehensive but leaves out some things
like contraflow, naked streets, etc) can have a big effect on their whole
lives and how they think about proximity and mobility, cars and feet. So
feed the whole world through Wiki!

In this space some months back I said that many city streets werent
streets anymore, but just part of the grostesquely large global parking
lot as they had de-evolved to monopurpose. Hopefully I can add this stuff
to the Wiki "streets" entry soon.... or I might add a new definition "the
global parking lot"...

- T

Todd Edelman
Director
Green Idea Factory

++420 605 915 970

edelman at greenidea.info
http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

Green Idea Factory,
a member of World Carfree Network

CASA: Complementary, Appropriate, Sustainable Access

CASA is the salad in which a tomato is public transport and "mobility" is
a hamburger (possibly a good one, possibly not)