[sustran] Global South Mobility, sustainable transport and social justice - and you?

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Sat Aug 12 04:03:34 JST 2006

Dear Gatnet Friends,

Does the world at this point have too many programs and websites about
sustainable transport and social justice? Well, I guess we can say that with
certainty only once we have managed to get moving in the right direction for
all, and not least the women and children of this world who are proof that there
is much that yet needs to be done.

So, here we are with a new program devoted to sustainable transport in the
developing world that we hope may interest at least some of you, Global South
Mobility which you will find at http://www.globalsouthmobility.org/. The program
is still under development, having stated out in cooperation with our colleagues
at Sustran's Global South forum which is serving as the main "Idea Factory" for
GSM.  You will also note that there are hot links to this Gatnet Forum, and we
are hopeful that there will be scope for significant creative interaction.  That
indeed is what this program is all about since we call it a "collaborative relay
station".

If you wish to join us and have a look, best will be to sign in to the Forum,
which you can do by clicking to
http://list.jca.apc.org/manage/listinfo/sustran-discuss and filling in the form.
It's that simple.

You also may want to take note of the "News & Media", links one of which take
you to the Global South Video Library, a lively assembly of more than 70 videos,
most of which every short but making a clear demonstration of principle. There
is also an excellent explanatory note by Paul Barter of the Sustran list on the
videos which I for one find very insightful. There is also the beginnings of
several photo libraries - visual evidence of problems and solutions being
important.

I bring these last to you, in the hope that if you have contributions you will
share them with us. They can either be posted directly or sent on to me who will
do the necessary.

A new year is about to get underway in September and I am sure that it will
reserve at least a few happy surprise for us all, but above all more challenges.
For which we have to be together.