[sustran] Re: Meanwhile: The rickshaw's last stand

Carlos F. Pardo SUTP carlos.pardo at sutp.org
Fri Aug 11 22:21:38 JST 2006

I think that is the basic difference between cycle rickshaws in developing
and developed countries: in the former, they are used for trips which are
much longer than in places like Europe or some cities in the US. I guess the
best way to use rickshaws is as a short-distance mode and as an integration
mode for mass transit. If the Colombian Ministry of Transport understood
this, biketaxis (or cyclerickshaws) would be permitted on the roads,
increasing the catchment area of TransMilenio up to 2 km or more! I usually
ride a(n illegal) biketaxi from a TransMilenio station ( Estación Prado) to
my house. It’s sometimes too long to walk that far, and I will never take a
taxi for such a short ride (also, bicycle parking has only been built in
terminal stations, so there is no way to leave the bicycle).

I tried attaching two pictures of the informal biketaxis in Bogotá, but it
didn’t come through.

Best regards,

Carlos F. Pardo
Coordinador de Proyecto
GTZ - Proyecto de Transporte Sostenible (SUTP, SUTP-LAC)
Cl 125bis # 41-28 of 404
Bogotá D.C., Colombia
Tel:  +57 (1) 215 7812

Fax: +57 (1) 236 2309