[sustran] Re: parking impact on use versus ownership

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Sat Apr 29 00:35:55 JST 2006

Parking facilities are a very valuable resource and generally
everybody can be better off by pricing them efficiently and capturing
the value for the public. If pricing parking reduces city vehicle
ownership by half, the total number of parking spaces can be reduced,
freeing up land for walkways, greenspace, housing and other
beneficial land uses. The starting point is to establish planning
objectives, for example, that the most convenient parking spaces will
be managed for short-term use rather than for use by residents and
commuters, and that the total number of parking spaces will be minimized.

That total car trips to the Westwood Village increased after pricing
was implemented may seem undesirable from a traffic management
perspective, but it probably reflects increased business activity in
the area, which is desirable from a economic development perspective.
I don't think we want to suggest that traffic and parking management
require constraining economic development, we want to emphasize that
economic activity can increase without increasing parking supply by
managing existing supply more efficiently. Shoup's other example, Old
Pasadena, is experiencing significant economic growth and downtown
residential development due, in part, to the livability improvements
funded by parking pricing revenues. I think that is a real success story.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560