[sustran] On vs off street parking or simply reducing on street parking.

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 03:14:03 JST 2006

I really like Todd's idea of pricing the parking but implementing the
same is a bit difficult in the developing cities as there is a
increasing trend of vehicle ownership. In my opinion initially focussing
on limiting the available parking spaces and then going with the pricing
would be better as this firstly might control the ridership and then the
pricing would have the economic effect.

On the other hand I doubt if parking pricing will really reduce the
ridership because I presume that parking pricing would make the car user
aware of the fact that they are being metered for the time they are
spending for shopping and thereby reduce their shopping time which can
tend to decrease the sales, yes they might shift to other modes but what
if the other modes are not as developed as driving a car like in
Bangkok. Secondly, providing priced or timed parking would allow the
other car driver to feel that they might get a place to park their car
and hence avoid them from shifting to other means. Correct me if I am wrong.

Off street parking is the worst case especially when it is free/very
very cheap like here in Bangkok and when the price is reducing with time
rather than increasing. but even here i have the same doubts mentioned
above. I would be glad if someone could clarify me.

Sunny