[sustran] Re: On vs off street parking or simply reducing on street parking.

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Thu Apr 27 01:49:47 JST 2006

I think that a better approach is to use pricing
to control use of on-street parking and collect
revenues that can be used to benefit
neighborhoods. Local residents can be offered a
discount, for example, a relatively inexpensive
monthly pass to park on their street. The number
of passes sold and the price of parking set to
limit demand to what the community considers
optimal, so motorists can virtually always find a
space, and traffic volumes are not excessive. Here are a few examples:

Austin Parking Benefit District
(www.ci.austin.tx.us/parkingdistrict/default.htm)
Many neighborhood experience parking spillover
problems, including difficulty finding parking
for residents and visitors, concerns that public
service vehicles cannot pass two lanes of parked
vehicles on the street, or that parking on the
street reduces neighborhood attractiveness. The
city of Austin, Texas is addressing these
problems by allowing neighborhoods to establish
Parking Benefit Districts (PBDs). A PBD is
created by metering the on-street parking (either
with pay stations on the periphery of the
neighborhood or with the traditional parking
meters) and dedicating the net revenue (less
costs for maintenance and enforcement) towards
neighborhood improvements such as sidewalks, curb
ramps, and bicycle lanes. The PMD may be used in
conjunction with a Residential Permit Parking
program to ensure that parking is available for residents and their visitors.

Downtown Pasadena Redevelopment (Kolozsvari and Shoup, 2003)
During the 1970s Old Pasadena’s downtown had
become run down, with many derelict and abandoned
buildings and few customers, in part due to the
limited parking available to customers. Curb
parking was restricted to two-hour duration but
many employees simply parked in the most
convenient, on-street spaces and moved their
vehicles several times each day. The city
proposed pricing on-street parking as a way to
increase turnover and make parking available to
customers. Many local merchants originally
opposed the idea. As a compromise, city officials
agreed to dedicate all revenues to public
improvements that make the downtown more
attractive. A Parking Meter Zone (PMZ) was
established within which parking was priced and revenues were invested.

This approach of connecting parking revenues
directly to added public services and keeping it
under local control helped guarantee the
program’s success. With this proviso, the
merchants agreed to the proposal. They began to
see parking meters in a new way: as a way to fund
the projects and services that directly benefit
their customers and businesses. The city formed a
PMZ advisory board consisting of business and
property owners, which recommended parking
policies and set spending priorities for the
meter revenues. Investments included new street
furniture and trees, more police patrols, better
street lighting, more street and sidewalk
cleaning, pedestrian improvements, and marketing
(including production of maps showing local
attractions and parking facilities). To highlight
these benefits to motorists, each parking meter
has a small sticker which reads, Your Meter Money
Will Make A Difference: Signage, Lighting, Benches, Paving.

This created a “virtuous cycle” in which parking
revenue funded community improvements that
attracted more visitors which increased the
parking revenue, allowing further improvements.
This resulted in extensive redevelopment of
buildings, new businesses and residential
development. Parking is no longer a problem for
customers, who can almost always find a
convenient space. Local sales tax revenues have
increased far faster than in other shopping
districts with lower parking rates, and nearby
malls that offer free customer parking. This
indicates that charging market rate parking
(i.e., prices that result in 85-90% peak-period
utilization rates) with revenues dedicated to
local improvements can be an effective ways to support urban redevelopment.

Ashland, Oregon

Ashland is a small but rapidly growing city in
central Oregon, famous for its Shakespeare
Festival which attracts tens of thousands of
visitors each year. The city’s downtown is a
major destination and activity center,
particularly during the summer tourist season.
Downtown business people were concerned that
existing parking supply was at capacity but
feared that pricing parking would have a negative
effect on customer traffic. To address these
concerns local planners examined the experience
of five comparable cities that have recently
implemented priced parking. Their research
indicated that pricing did not adversely affect
visitor demand or use, that it increased
turnover, that it generates net revenue, and that
newer multi-space meters work well.

Using this feedback and information, the planners
developed a parking management plan. They divided
the downtown into three major parking management
zones, described as “Core,” “Intermediate,” and
“Periphery.” For each of these zones they
developed overall guiding principles, parking
management strategies, and an implementation plan
with near-, mid- and long-term actions. The plan
includes pricing of publicly-owned parking
facilities to increase turn-over, shift employee
parking to less convenient locations, encourage
use of alternative modes, and provide funding to
increase parking supply and support alternative
modes. The plan describes under what
circumstances and how parking will be priced.

See:

Todd Litman, Parking Taxes: Evaluating Options
and Impacts, VTPI
(<http://www.vtpi.org/parking_tax.pdf>www.vtpi.org/parking_tax.pdf), 2006c.

Gabriel Roth, Paying for Parking, Hobart Paper 33
(London), 1965; available at the Victoria
Transport Policy Institute website:
<http://www.vtpi.org/roth_parking.pdf>www.vtpi.org/roth_parking.pdf.

Donald Shoup, Curb Parking: An Ideal Source of
Public Revenue, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy
(<http://www.lincolninst.edu/>www.lincolninst.edu),
Presented at “Analysis of Land Markets and the
Impact of Land Market Regulation,” (Code CP02A01), July, 2002

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
“Efficiency - Equity - Clarity”