[sustran] Traffic in India video - "an amazing social pact is at work to avoid gridlock"

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Apr 25 02:58:04 JST 2006

There is a great deal of commentary on the India traffic video page, much of
which the sad usual that one finds on the net. But some of what these mainly
Americans have to say is not without interest - not least since at the end
of the day hey are usually talking about not India but themselles (our
favorite subject).  And I much like the one that offers the observation
that: "an amazing social pact is at work to avoid gridlock"

1.	Looks like they have to me! They all know what they're doing
2.	India always have tons of wrecks everyday, but the people have
learned to get around these kinds of things. In all honesty, this is nothing
of any significance, you should see what it's like when theirs some serious
traffic.
3.	Well, the average speed over there is 30Km/hr. That's
http://www.google.com/search?q =30km/hr+in+mph So, though there are crashes,
HUNDREDS of them, everyday, no one gets seriously hurt (most of the time)
4.	u should see Nicaragua
5.	Two words, Organized Chaos!
6.	it looks like everybody just getting in were they fit in seems like
it just humans walking in a mall but only driving
7.	Yeah Vietnam was like this too. Organized chaos (and more mopeds
:P).
8.	That's like nothing for India, u should see the main streets in
Mumbai Calcutta Delhi and Bangalore
9.	WOW just amazing-I noticed that it seemed like all younger people
there. What happened to the old folk?? ha ha they probably stay home.
Congested but still very organized. The air quality must be as bad there as
it is in the united states-especially ca.
10.	its like a giant footpath... but it all flows so no gripes here
11.	Cool vid! believe me.. it's not that dangerous because accidents
happen when you don't watch out.. and those guys keep their eyes wide open.
12.	I am full of admiration for the Indians. If a similar uncontrolled
traffic situation occurred in Britain the scene would be of multiple pile
ups, dead and injured everywhere with the survivors attempting further
mayhem on each other.
13.	I'm sure the way North Americans drive must make people from other
countries laugh as well...4-way stops? What the hell is THAT? How primitive
when pretty much the rest of the world has moved on to roundabouts.
14.	hahaha, as a Chinese I see such behaviour in China very often. It's
just a matter of lifestyle, in a country where you have about a 1 billion
people this is the way of life. Simple as that
15.	Wow!!!!!!!!!! I drive like that!
16.	Almost all of 3rd world countries are like that..
17.	ppl stop trippin out, this is just one of the intersections without
traffic lights. Indian roads do have traffic lights, especially in big
cities everywhere. on top of that, Indian roads are chaotic, with cars and
people, so you need to be very careful and alert and that is exactly what
these people in the video demonstrated. you think its chaos, which it is,
but to the residents its a pattern, they know exactly how to get out of this
mess.
18.	This video has generated a range of emotions among ppl. Some are
surprised, excited, amazed, disgusted, terrified or just simply enlightened.
In "developed" countries, when traffic lights fail, ppl panic, traffic gets
logged for miles. However, look at these people, without a traffic light or
a cop, they are able to manage the situation "just" fine.
19.	And when there are no traffic lights, people improvise the
situation, alert and armed with years of experience, they go about their
life honking and avoiding accidents. This video is stunning. Shows how
skilled and alert these drivers and riders are. Not a single scratch in 3
minutes.
20.	In S. America and Asia, traffic is much more of an art. It's not as
regimented with defined lanes and such. As a result, traffic flows a lot
faster. People maneuver their cars through crowded streets the same way
pedestrians maneuver through crowded sidewalks. Getting "cut off" is the
norm in these countries, and you weave and brake to avoid accidents, while
in the US, people get shot over "getting cut off" and having to use their
brakes. In the US people think if they are in a lane, they have proprietary
ownership of that lane. Elsewhere, you have to share that lane, if someone
encroaches into it.
21.	I think this is a safe way to drive. Concentrate on the front of
your vehicle and don't swing your head around. American driving with no
front concentration is way more dangerous.
22.	THAT is driving SKILL. they are my kind of drivers, awesome! seems
like people there hafta be way more alert when driving, and thus less
accidents. here in the U.S, you have people sleeping at the wheel, on their
cell phones, and distracted.
23.	i feel when i watch these driving videos that an amazing social pact
is at work to avoid gridlock. i can imagine a much simpler intersection in
the heart of any American city... everyone tries to go at once, honking
ensues, and gridlock would be inevitable.