[sustran] Re: "on-street parking is the most efficient type of "

Zvi Leve zvi at inro.ca
Tue Apr 25 01:21:30 JST 2006

Eric and others,

Unfortunately I am too busy at work to put much time into this or any of
the other interesting threads which have been posted recently. I think
that both on-street parking, and limited well integrated (with the
emphasis on well-integrated) off-street parking have their uses. In my
opinion, there certainly are cases where removing on-street parking
would be beneficial - just look at all of the pedestrianized areas in
Europe and elsewhere.

As for transportation and citizen participation, Montreal has a new
local political party, Projet Montreal <http://projetmontreal.org/>,
whose entire platform revolves around sustainable transportation issues.
They did reasonably well for a first time party in the last municipal
elections, but I think that a municipal platform based solely on on
transportation will only get them so far - the same themes and ideas
could be 'spun' to put more emphasis on 'quality of life' instead of
just transportation issues (which quite frankly does not interest your
"average" voter very much - but then again, what does :-\ ).... A city's
transportation policy is not a goal unto itself, but rather a means to
an end....

On the subject of parking, here is an amusing anecdote about one
resident's opinion of on-street parking: I live on a residential street
of row-houses which is parallel to a major commercial artery. Some of
our cross streets also have significant commercial and institutional
uses (cafes and restaurants in particular, with some up-scale retail
plus a few schools). My block has a particularly low rate of
motorization, so we only "need" parking on one-side of the street (and
even this is limited to residents). On the other hand, there are
certainly people who do drive to our neighbourhood for various reasons
(both for work and for pleasure) and have nowhere to park! I happened to
suggest to one of my neighbours that having parking on both sides would
be a double benefit: narrowing the lane-surface would encourage drivers
to slow down (a problem on our "wide" block), plus having additional
parking for the clients of all of our local cafes (which we also
patronize) couldn't be a bad thing either! To make a long story short, a
completely reasonable man literally became violent at the suggestion
that we should allow more on-street parking! He started ranting about
our street becoming a parking lot, with people coming from all over just
to park in front of /his/ house and then take the bus down-town. I won't
repeat here the names that he called me. I suppose that my comment "if
he is so attached to /his/ parking space, maybe /he/ should move to the
suburbs" did not help....

Anyway, that is just to point out that parking is a rather visceral
issue with certain people, both residents and commerce owners who are
convinced that all of their clients come by car.

Cheers,

Zvi