[sustran] "on-street parking is the most efficient type of "

Eric Britton eric.britton at ecoplan.org
Tue Apr 25 00:24:22 JST 2006

I would like to weigh in on this one, with what may to some of you look like
nothing more than a "personal religious prejudice" about matters of
transport policy and practice that I have consistently courted for my entire
career.  Which has consistently biased me against not only off-street
parking but also putting money into underground rail.

The nice thing about on street parking and all that visible traffic,
congestion, etc. is that you cannot avoid seeing it. It is the nature of man
that if we can avoid coming to grips with a problem, no matter how grave,
because it is hidden, we will. So let's keep our problems right in front of
our noses - as a constant reminder that we better do something about them.

BTW, I am a bit surprised that my proposal for annual open citizen
mini-surveys of transport priorities in their cities has occasioned such a
deafening silence. Hmm. And I thought it was/is a real great and useful
idea. Hmm.