[sustran] Re: [NewMobilityCafe] Re: New Mobility Citizen Poll for Your City- A ProposalforDiscussion

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Tue Apr 25 00:10:01 JST 2006

On the other hand, on-street parking is the most efficient type of
parking that can be provided. Most off-street spaces only serve a
single destination and so have low load factors, while on-street
spaces serve many destinations and have high load factors, and so are
more efficient overall. Also, off-street spaces require driveways
which use a portion of the curb and cross sidewalks. For these
reasons many urban planners now support the provision of a maximum
number of on-street spaces and a minimum number of off-street spaces
(for discussion of ways to use parking facilities more efficiently
see my new report "Parking Management"
(http://www.vtpi.org/park_man.pdf ) and book "Parking Management Best
Practices" (http://www.planning.org/bookservice/description.htm?BCODE=APMB ).

If the choice is really between sidewalks and on-street parking I
would generally choose providing a sidewalk, but it is desirable to
provide on-street parking where possible.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"