[sustran] Re: Proposed new Kuala Lumpur monorail lines

Su-Lin Chee sulin at vectordesigns.org
Mon Apr 24 09:57:58 JST 2006

Hi Tony and everyone,
Sorry about that. Am attaching text in body here.

KLIG proposes four new lines for monorail system

By LEONG SHEN-LI

KUALA LUMPUR: KL Infrastructure Group Bhd, the company which operates
the monorail here, has submitted a proposal to construct four new
lines in the Klang Valley with a total length of 71km.

KLIG chairman Datuk Ahmad Sa’adi said the project was estimated to
cost RM4.5bil and would take six years to complete.

“We presented this proposal to the Government two months ago,” he said
yesterday.

Ahmad said the four new lines were the 21km Petaling Jaya line, 18km
Subang Jaya line, 19km Sungai Buloh line and 13km Cheras line. The
four lines will have 47 stations.

Click on image for actual size.
The Sungai Buloh line will directly link up with the existing KL
Monorail system at the Titiwangsa station while the Subang Jaya line
will link up with the existing system at the Tun Sambanthan station in
Brickfields.

All four lines will integrate with the existing light rail transit
(LRT) and the KTM Komuter rail systems.

“We expect the new lines to ferry some 400,000 passengers per day,” he
said.

He added that when the entire network was completed, the existing
lines would also experience an increase in usage because more people
would find it convenient to use public transport.

“We should see another 320,000 passengers using the entire rail system
daily on top of the current 340,000 passengers,'' he said.

He said this would help the Government achieve the Ninth Malaysia Plan
target of a 30:70 public to private transport ratio for the Klang
Valley.

Ahmad said under the proposal, MTrans Holdings Sdn Bhd, the holding
company of KLIG, would manufacture 62 new monorail trains for the new
lines.

“The new trains will have four cars each and carry at least 400
people,” he said.

> <P><BR>Hello Su-Lin,</P>
> <P>From the UK following your link, all I get is 'Sorry, Access
Denied'.&nbsp; Can you say what the story is about and it may then be
possible to navigate The Star website by another means. Thanks.</P>
> <P>Tony Plumbe<BR></P></DIV>
> <DIV></DIV>
> <BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT:
#a0c6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px;
FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
> <HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>
>
> <DIV></DIV>From:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>"Su-Lin Chee"
&lt;sulin at vectordesigns.org&gt;</I><BR>Reply-
To:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>sulin at vectordesigns.org, sulinchee at gmail.com,Asia
and the Pacific sustainable transport &lt;sustran-
discuss at list.jca.apc.org&gt;</I><BR>To:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>Asia and the
Pacific sustainable transport &lt;sustran-
discuss at list.jca.apc.org&gt;</I><BR>Subject:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>[sustran]
Proposed new Kuala Lumpur monorail
lines</I><BR>Date:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:27:31 -
0400</I><BR>&gt;thought you all might find this
interesting:<BR>&gt;http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?
<BR>&gt;file=/2006/4/15/nation/13967752&amp;sec=nation<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<
BR>&gt;Best wishes,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Su-Lin Chee<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;project
manager<BR>&gt;klang valley public transportation information
system<BR>&gt;vector designs<BR>&gt;www.vectordesigns.org<BR>&gt;54a
jalan kemuja<BR>&gt;bangsar
> utama<BR>&gt;59000 kuala lumpur<BR>&gt;tel/fax
+603.22826363<BR>&gt;mobile
+6016.2183363<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;==================================
==============================<BR>&gt;SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum
devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable
transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South').
Because of the history of the list, the main focus is on urban
transport policy in Asia.<BR></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></div></html>

Best wishes,

Su-Lin Chee

project manager
klang valley public transportation information system
vector designs
www.vectordesigns.org
54a jalan kemuja
bangsar utama