[sustran] Re: Hybrid cars- and Diesel Greenwash

mpotter mpotter at gol.com
Fri Apr 21 11:58:28 JST 2006

Congratulations on your efforts and successes, in New Zealand  Olly.
More forceful encouragement of truth-in-advertising in the automotive
domain is long overdue.  Unfortunately, for those countries more in the
thrall of this massive economic sector, such successes may be harder to
come by.

Re the comments about  being tough on rail from the irate gentleman
from Florida (bear in mind this is one of the most car-dependent places
on the Planet)

I suspect that in the highly unlikely event that  rail should ever
become as globally environmentally and socially destructive as the
automobile, lots more people would be attacking rail.  The automobile
attracts fire partly because of the scope and severity of its
consequences.  The reasons for the swift and generally effective
counter reactions to the  suggestion that more environmentally sound
alternatives to the automobile be encouraged can be found in the fact
that the automobile, highway construction, petrol and allied industries
butter far more peoples' bread  than do those  associated with rail.

RE advertising, rail advertising is almost non-existent in the US, and
miniscule in most other countries(at least the ones that I've been to),
while automobile advertising is nearly  ubiquitous every country  I've
been to save Myanmar.

That said, here in Fukuoka (pop 1.3 million, metro 3.5 million) rail
and subway advertising, limited though it is, in some cases does
(admirably) include CO2 output and passenger kilometer energy
efficiency  comparisons with automobiles. The trains here are
overwhelmingly electrified, which of course has an influence on CO2.
For rapid transit vs the automobile, given the full subways and the
endless AM procession of single-occupant cars here (about 92% one
occupant), if anything the figures presented by rapid transit here seem
understated. Adding to the environmental and social costs  the costs
and consequences of paving over land for parking and streets would tip
the balance even further in favor of rail here.  Rail does tend to be
well utilized and  well-implemented here.  I.e., the basic shopping and
other needs of commuters are able to be met in the immediate environs
of the stations, high density neighborhoods with limited parking
frequently radiate out from stations.  This  makes difficult direct
comparison with countries like the US and Philippines, for example,
where rail implementations are sparse and frequently abominable.

As for the notion walking or cycling are more environmentally
destructive than automobile use, this is a self-evidently ludicrous
proposition.  I spent 19 years in southern California as a driver, and
am now on my sixteenth year as a transportation cyclist in Fukuoka, and
I can tell the difference in both my bank account and my waistline.
For envrionmental, financial and physical health, the bicycle is the
clear winner.

With fuel importing Japan spending 9% of GNP on transportation,
transportation infrastructure, and assorted costs and the USA 18%,
(figures from Holtz's Asphalt Nation)  the difference would seem to
hold on a national level as well.

Respectfully,
Mark Potter
millennium3