[sustran] Re: National Urban Transport Policy (Final)

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 11:23:53 JST 2006

Thank you Sujit for the document. I have read it and most of the
document is impressive if implemented. Still I wonder on some points
stated in the document.

Firstly, I did not find any mention of reducing speeds of the private
motor vehicles as speed is an important factor for causing accidents.

Secondly, from an environmental context Electricity is surely the
cleanest and sometimes affordable source of energy provided that the
source is also the same. Especially in India where most of the
electricity is produced from burning fossil fuels or through hydro wont
you think that increasing the electric fleet will pose a pressure on
production? From my knowledge several states in India are still power
thirsty and buy power from their neighbours. In my opinion it would be
nice if there is sufficient research on other alternative fuels or
biofuels which can at least meet the needs and also create a livelihood
for some.

Finally, the mention of NMT and vulnerable groups in the document is
impressive, but I am worried that engineering solutions will be embraced
for providing safety to pedestrians on the arterial roads. Like here in
Bangkok, several pedestrian bridges are constructed, these are supposed
to make the pedestrians safer while crossing the road; but in my view I
feel that these bridges are to totally segregate the pedestrians off the
main road so that they do not cause any hindrance for the car drivers
and the cars need not stop or wait till the pedestrians cross the road.
These bridges are not very pedestrian friendly as they don't consider
the old or disabled people who are forced to cross the road directly
some times ending up in the hospital.

So, these are my opinions on the document and I agree that my idea can
be wrong in some places. I would like to know the comments of the fellow
members too.

Thanks once again Sujit,

Sunny

Santhosh Kumar K
Faculty of Environment and Resource Studies,
MAHIDOL UNIVERSITY
999, Phuttamonthon Road 4,
Salaya, Nakhorn Pathom.
Thailand