[sustran] Re: Bus Segregation, Car equivalents of BUS

sutp sutp at sutp.org
Fri Apr 7 17:43:45 JST 2006

Hello Kiran,

The concept of passenger car equivalent (PCE) has also been documented in Highway Capacity Manual (2000) from the U.S.  It lists PCEs of buses/trucks for various highway facilities, such as Freeways, Multilane highways, Signalized intersections, etc.  The numbers were based on surveys done in the US.  However, one should be cautious in applying the numbers to other geographical region, because many things are different including traffic conditions, driver behaviors, technology, new buses Vs old buses, etc.

Regarding the Segregation of Bus Lane, I’d like to recommend an article named “Public Transport Reforms in Seoul: Innovations Motivated by Funding Crisis” by Pucher et al, Journal of Public Transportation, Vol.8, No. 5, 2005.  It contains the before - after studies of the Seoul Bus Reform project, and particularly compared the speeds of buses and cars on three major streets that recently utilize a central bus-only lane.   When buses are segregated, both speeds of buses and cars improved.  Two reasons:

1. The increase in bus operating speed attracts more passengers: some travelers switched from driving their own car to taking buses.

2. When bus operation mix with normal traffic, buses tend to run erratically crossing from lanes to lanes.  Many times, they stop to board and alight passenger on the center lane or even the median lane, causing a temporarily bottleneck on the street section.  Segregate bus operation therefore terminates the traffic interruptions from buses.

Best Regards,

Thirayoot

  _____