[sustran] Re: alt-transp GNGM newsletter #2

Michael Yeates michaelm at myoffice.net.au
Thu Apr 6 11:52:50 JST 2006

Hi Eric ...

Just came across this "gem" from an earlier time ...
http://list.jca.apc.org/public/sustran-discuss/1999-June/001049.html and
reply from somebody else ... at
http://list.jca.apc.org/public/sustran-discuss/1999-June/001051.html

GNGM ran into the problem of people changing (i) their email address and
(ii) their role/task ie at work ... so it lasted just long enough to begin
to get the message across about the Global Network for Gentle Mobility ...
the "GM" part I trust you will recognise as a key part of the marketing
promotion and slogan for the Graz 30km/h urban speed limit ...

I do get a bit concerned by advocates for change (lots out there) who find
the negatives rather more important than the positives from proposals ...
esp those that have in fact "worked"  although often on a different basis
of assessment ...

The whole speed issue is grossly distorted by the engineering view that
slower speed limits only work if 85% compliance is achieved ,,, which is a
self-defining outcome. Are there other measures where slower speed limits
"work" yet 85% compliance is not achieved? Of course.

Does it matter if people drive faster than the speed limit? Not necessarily
...!!