[sustran] Re: ETT as a global solution

Prof J G Krishnayya sri at giaspn01.vsnl.net.in
Wed Apr 5 13:57:56 JST 2006

Daryl,

Your post-hoc; propter hoc argument in favour of motor cars and against
rail ignores completely the history of General Motors activity in the
30s to buy up and scrap municipal light rail lines all over the US.  The
technical facts you provide are interesting in an "engineering" sort of
way (and I speak as someone who spent 6 years at MIT).  They are not
relevant to the real world.

The story about London-Edinburg travel by Diesel Passat as being less
energy-intensive than the proposed new (very heavy) High Speed Train is
also interesting, but beside the point. The world does not travel in
Passats. Next, planes will get increasingly pricey as fuel prices rise;
docking space at reasonable distances from city-centres will become more
and more a dream-of-the-past.  Trains provide comfortable, seated - or
sleeping - accommodation on a city-centre-to-city-centre basis with the
simplest boarding and luggage arrangement.

I'm sorry; you do not carry conviction, and raising the pitch of your
arguments ( 5 months in Chengdu) does not help.

All the best when you wake up!

J G Krishnayya

Prof J G Krishnayya
Director, Systems Research Institute,