[sustran] Re: Bus Segregation, Car equivalents of BUS

Todd Alexander Litman litman at vtpi.org
Wed Apr 5 00:41:14 JST 2006

There are tables indicating the Passenger Car Equivalents (PCE) of
heavy vehicles, including buses, under various roadway conditions
(see http://www.vtpi.org/tca/tca0505.pdf, Table 5.5-4).

You may want to review the "High Occupancy Vehicle Priority"
(http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm19.htm ) and "Bus Rapid Transit"
(http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm120.htm ) chapters of our Online TDM
Encyclopedia, which discuss dedicated bus lanes and how to evaluate
their benefits. These chapters reference several relevant technical
reports and websites on the subject.

In developing cities, busways and other types of transit service
improvements are among the best ways of improving transportation
system performance, both to the people who ride transit and to
motorists who experience less traffic and parking congestion if their
neighbors shift from driving to public transit.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

At 06:19 AM 4/4/2006, B Sriram wrote:
>I am new member to this group. I am research student from India. It
>is said that a BUS is equivalent to 3 passenger cars. But I also
>find there is lot of debate on this value. Can anyone suggest what
>values should be taken?
>
>I have also read some reports about Bagota, and also some
>discussions in this group, which suggest that segregation of buses
>helps improve regular traffic as well as buses as they get dedicated lanes.
>
>How can I quantify that this segregation indeed improves the regular traffic ?
>
>Are  there any published reports which can justify this.
>
>My main constraint is space. I will have to extract a lane from the
>existing carraigeway as it is bound by private property.

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
litman at vtpi.org
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
"Efficiency - Equity - Clarity"