[sustran] Bus Segregation, Car equivalents of BUS

B Sriram bsriramak at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 22:19:35 JST 2006

Hello All,

  I am new member to this group. I am research student from India. It is said that a BUS is equivalent to 3 passenger cars. But I also find there is lot of debate on this value. Can anyone suggest what values should be taken?

  I have also read some reports about Bagota, and also some discussions in this group, which suggest that segregation of buses helps improve regular traffic as well as buses as they get dedicated lanes.

  How can I quantify that this segregation indeed improves the regular traffic ?

  Are  there any published reports which can justify this.

  My main constraint is space. I will have to extract a lane from the existing carraigeway as it is bound by private property.

  Thanks

  Kiran
  Research Student
  Ahmedabad