[sustran] Re: Toyota forsees accident proof car

Jojo Guevarra aquaboi924 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 00:44:06 JST 2006

Dear Todd,

  Haha, you've misread my post. Apologies for my open-ended email, I  should've elaborated. I advocate environmentally-friendly means of  transport - whether it be a car, bicycle, etc. Cars running amock, even  though they are green, is not my idea of utopia either. In fact, I  support bicycles (like the Firefly Brigade - I'm pretty sure you know  this) and walking as an alternative means of getting around. I also  extensively use public transport.

  I must say, there are a few disagreeable things about the Toyota  article, as you and others have pointed out, but that's not what I  wanted to highlight. My utopia is a mobile world free of congestion and  pollution (like in the article) and with equal opportunities to  everyone. I could go on and on...but i won't ;-)

  Oh, please feel free to use your legs, if that's your utopia. Just don't use it to trample on mine.

  Have a nice day,

  Jojo

Todd Edelman <edelman at greenidea.info> wrote:  Jojo!

I and many, many others do not want this utopia!

The Toyota propagandist says no petrol stations are needed, then mentions
the huge hydrogen infrastructure which is needed.

There is no mention at all of how cars can be "accident-proof". If this
means than pedestrians can walk in front of them and not get hit then I
call for all pedestrians and cyclists, etc to plan to walk across streets,
more or less at will, yes, Jojo, like we used to before Toy-ota and its
friends came along.

And such fuel economy between London and Istanbul! With the predicted
increase in cars, what will happen if many of these are being driven to
Turkey? No negative effects at all?

I could go on and on but I wont. Again, what the propagandist from Toyota
spews out is no utopia of mine: I am realistic about the negative effects
of cars besides collisions and tailpipe emissions (social isolation,
enabling of obesity, huge about space needed which causes of farms and
forest, etc, tyres on tarmac noise, and so on....) I like using my legs,
and if Istanbul is too far to walk to I will take a train, which by the
way as been using regenerative braking for many years.

- T

> Jojo wrote: Dear all,
>
> I don't think we have to be so negative to these things.

Todd Edelman
International Coordinator
On the Train Towards the Future!

Green Idea Factory
Laubova 5
CZ-13000 Praha 3

++420 605 915 970

edelman at greenidea.info
http://www.worldcarfree.net/onthetrain

Green Idea Factory,
a member of World Carfree Network

SUSTRAN-DISCUSS  is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and  sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global  South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus is on urban  transport policy in Asia.