[sustran] Toyota forsees accident proof car

Sunny sksunny at gmail.com
Sat Apr 1 16:29:13 JST 2006

www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=268160&area=/breaking_news/breaking_news__business/

This above website leads to a post that Toyota is planning for a future
car that has a non polluting engine powered by hydrogen, running on open
roads free of congestion.

Do innovative technologies like this solve the problems caused by cars?
and when is the time that the developing countries foster the new
technologies?

I feel that the innovative technologies are not going to correct the
problems caused by the cars. Yes, they might address the problem of the
air pollution but how many new non polluting cars are required to
replace the old cars? and what will happen to the old cars? will they be
tipped or recycled?. Even though a country manages to buy the new fuel
efficient cars, the old inefficient cars usually end up in the third
world due to financial reasons..still doing their polluting job but at a
different place.

In my opinion I feel that, the more a city restricts the use of car and
more it encourages public transit or mass transit the easier the
environmental and social problems can be addressed.

Sunny

P.S: It can be found on the link that US is advanced than Japan in the
field of Fuel Cells  but I wonder how many cars are running on fuel
cells. If there is a technology that can convert the existing cars to
fuel cells or hydrogen powered then it would be a better choice than
buying a new car.