[sustran] Re: RV: CNG Gas

Kirk Bendall kennaughkb at yahoo.com.au
Wed Sep 21 12:22:20 JST 2005

Hello,
gas cylinders should have a bleed off valve, leak stop piping and secure fitting to prevent such problems. Many city buses use CNG in Australia, while most taxis and many fleets vehicels use LPG. New Zealand also had many private CNG vehicles at one time, and they didn't seem to be much worse then petrol vehicles safety wise.

Technical Standards for gas vehicles can be found via:
http://www.iangv.org/html/sources/sources/standards/

the Australian Natural Gas Vehicle Coalition are at:

http://www.ngvc.org/ngv/ngvc.nsf

regards,
kirk
Wollongong Australia

"Carlos F. Pardo" <cpardo at cable.net.co> wrote:

Would someone be willing to answer this question? See below:

>From salman saeed :
"Dear sutp.org team,
"I use a car that uses natural gas. Last night I saw a cylinder getting off
another car during refuelling. It went off like a missile & did a lot of
damage including death of two persons.I am really worried.Please advise me
on this.Iam seriously thinking of getting rid of cng as a fuel.

Sincerely,
Dr Salman Saeed"

Carlos F. Pardo
Project Coordinator
GTZ Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP)
Room 0942, Transport Division, UN-ESCAP
ESCAP UN Building
Rajadamnern Nok Rd.
Bangkok 10200, Thailand
Tel:  +66 (0) 2 - 288  2576 (during August- September: +57 1 635 9048)
Fax: +66 (0) 2 - 280  6042 (during August- September: +57 1 635 9015)
Mobile: +66 (0) 1 - 772 4727 (during August- September: +57 3 15 802 4115)
e-mail: carlos.pardo at sutp.org
I use a car that uses natural gas.Last night I saw a cylinder getting off
another car during refuelling.It went off like a missile & did a lot of
damage including death of two persons.I am really worried.Please advise me
on this.Iam seriously thinking of getting rid of cng as a fuel.

Sincerely,

Dr Salman Saeed

SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred, equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing countries (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list, the main focus is on urban transport policy in Asia.