[sustran] Re: sorry, and a question

roelof.wittink at cycling.nl roelof.wittink at cycling.nl
Mon Sep 19 17:43:05 JST 2005

Dear Lew

In the Netherlands there is a program running for many years called
"Cycle to your work". Employers pay one euro cent for every km on the
bike their employees ride to work and back home. The result of the
program is being used as a subsidy for programs in developing
countries including for cycling promotion. The organisation cooperates
with the employers to promote the use of cycling, since this has many
benefits for the employers too.
There is some info in english on their web site www.cossen.nl.
I am sorry that most of the information on the project in only in dutch,
but still present the page on their site on this:
http://www.fietsnaarjewerk.nl/index.cfm?fuseaction=goededoel.home

roelof wittink

On 16 Sep 2005 at 12:18, Lew Fulton wrote:

> Whoops - sorry about that last email folks!
>
> I'll take the opportunity to make a real post - a request for info. A
> particular employer just outside Nairobi, I won't say who, is in dire
> need of some traffic control measures around their large suburban
> compound. Given the suburban, fairly car-dependent location, they are
> not surprsingly experiencing a choking surge in single-occupant
> vehicles (SOVs) (not to mention SUVs) comming to work each day. There
> is increasingly bad traffic in the area and the expansive parking lot
> is getting pretty full.  I would like to help them out with developing
> a plan to alleviate the problems, and so I am looking for ideas.
>
> I have seen many studies and policy papers on this type of situation
> in the places like the US, but not for a developing country context.
> Maybe the solution isn't very different - the primary difference, I
> think, is that here only about half the employees own a car - the
> other half already come to work by bus.
>
> The basic ideas I'm starting with are:
>
> -start charging for parking
> - use the funds to pay for:
>       - minivan commuter service for nearby neighborhoods
>       - bike lane construction where possible in vicinity. Would be a
>       first
> for Nairobi.
>       - car ride matching service on their intranet
>
> Thanks for any other suggestions, or any relevant analyses and
> experiences you can point me toward...
>
> Lew

> equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing
> countries (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list,
> the main focus is on urban transport policy in Asia.

Roelof Wittink, Director
I-ce = Interface for Cycling Expertise
Trans 3, 3512 JJ Utrecht, The Netherlands
tel: +31 (0)30 2304521  fax: +31 (0)30 2312384
email (general): i-ce at cycling.nl
email (personal): roelof.wittink at cycling.nl
website: www.i-ce.info