[sustran] Re: sorry, and a question

Lew Fulton Lew.Fulton at unep.org
Mon Sep 19 16:13:56 JST 2005

Thanks for these ideas and information sources folks.  Indeed, security
(apart from traffic safety) at this particular location is a major concern,
so it will probably quite limit the willingness of management to encourage
cycling. But we'll push it and see if we can at least get cycle lanes put
in in the immediate vicinity. Commuter minivans that serve specific
neighborhoods may aslo be cost-effective -the trick will be having them run
often enough so that people feel confident they will be able to get to
work/home when they want to each day. I agree that traffic calming is also
a very important component.

Lew

|---------+------------------------------------------------------------>
|         |           "Carlos F. Pardo" <cpardo at cable.net.co>          |
|         |           Sent by:                                         |
|         |           sustran-discuss-bounces+lew.fulton=unep.org at list.|
|         |           jca.apc.org                                      |
|         |                                                            |
|         |                                                            |
|         |           17/09/2005 02:45                                 |
|         |           Please respond to Asia and the Pacific           |
|         |           sustainable transport                            |
|         |                                                            |
|---------+------------------------------------------------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                              |
  |       To:       "'Asia and the Pacific sustainable transport'"                               |
  |        <sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org>                                                    |
  |       cc:                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [sustran] Re: sorry, and a question                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Sometimes employees give bonuses (or some sort of point system) to workers
who arrive by bicycle, which could result in a day off or so at the end of
the month. However, if infrastructure and security are great concerns, it
might not be relevant... unless they arrange groups in which people arrive
at the same time to their office on their bikes. It might sound too utopic
for this situation, but some variations could be developed.

Best regards,

Carlos F. Pardo
Project Coordinator
GTZ Sustainable Urban Transport Project (SUTP)
Room 0942, Transport Division, UN-ESCAP
ESCAP UN Building
Rajadamnern Nok Rd.
Bangkok 10200, Thailand
Tel:  +66 (0) 2 - 288  2576 (during August- September: +57 1 635 9048)
Fax: +66 (0) 2 - 280  6042 (during August- September: +57 1 635 9015)
Mobile: +66 (0) 1 - 772 4727 (during August- September: +57 3 15 802 4115)
e-mail: carlos.pardo at sutp.org
Website: www.sutp.org