[sustran] Re: sorry, and a question

Lew Fulton Lew.Fulton at unep.org
Mon Sep 19 15:58:06 JST 2005

Excellent, thanks Todd!  Hope all goes well with you.

Regards,
Lew

|---------+------------------------------------------------------------>
|         |           Todd Alexander Litman <litman at vtpi.org>          |
|         |           Sent by:                                         |
|         |           sustran-discuss-bounces+lew.fulton=unep.org at list.|
|         |           jca.apc.org                                      |
|         |                                                            |
|         |                                                            |
|         |           16/09/2005 16:58                                 |
|         |           Please respond to Asia and the Pacific           |
|         |           sustainable transport                            |
|         |                                                            |
|---------+------------------------------------------------------------>
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                              |
  |       To:       Asia and the Pacific sustainable transport <sustran-discuss at list.jca.apc.org>|
  |       cc:                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [sustran] Re: sorry, and a question                                          |
  >----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

If you haven't looked at it previously, I suggest that you read the "TDM in
Developing Countries" ( http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm75.htm ) chapter of our
Online TDM Encyclopedia ( http://www.vtpi.org/tdm ), which contains a
variety of resources on this subject. Other good resources include:

"Sustainable Transportation: A Sourcebook for Policy-Makers in Developing
Countries," ( http://www.sutp.org/download/sourcebookhome.php ).

The Rural Transport Knowledge Base (
www.transport-links.org/rtkb/English\Intro.htm).

Parking pricing and public transportation subsidies are a good start.
Others include road space reallocation to favor walking, cycling, vans and
buses, urban traffic calming, and improved traffic law enforcement.

Best wishes,
-Todd Litman

At 02:18 AM 9/16/2005, Lew Fulton wrote:
      Whoops - sorry about that last email folks!

      I'll take the opportunity to make a real post - a request for info. A
      particular employer just outside Nairobi, I won't say who, is in dire
      need
      of some traffic control measures around their large suburban
      compound.
      Given the suburban, fairly car-dependent location, they are not
      surprsingly
      experiencing a choking surge in single-occupant vehicles (SOVs) (not
      mention SUVs) comming to work each day. There is increasingly bad
      traffic
      in the area and the expansive parking lot is getting pretty full.  I
      would
      like to help them out with developing a plan to alleviate the
      problems, and
      so I am looking for ideas.

      I have seen many studies and policy papers on this type of situation
      in the
      places like the US, but not for a developing country context. Maybe
      the
      solution isn't very different - the primary difference, I think, is
      that
      here only about half the employees own a car - the other half already
      come
      to work by bus.

      The basic ideas I'm starting with are:

      -start charging for parking
      - use the funds to pay for:
            - minivan commuter service for nearby neighborhoods
            - bike lane construction where possible in vicinity. Would be a
      first
      for Nairobi.
            - car ride matching service on their intranet

      Thanks for any other suggestions, or any relevant analyses and
      experiences
      you can point me toward...

      Lew

      SUSTRAN-DISCUSS is a forum devoted to discussion of people-centred,
      equitable and sustainable transport with a focus on developing
      countries (the 'Global South'). Because of the history of the list,
      the main focus is on urban transport policy in Asia.

Sincerely,
Todd Alexander Litman
litman at vtpi.org
Victoria Transport Policy Institute (www.vtpi.org)
1250 Rudlin Street, Victoria, BC, V8V 3R7, CANADA
Phone & Fax 250-360-1560
“Efficiency - Equity - Clarity”